In the current climate, face masks are a necessity and it is vital that we wear them to keep ourselves and others safe. However, at KL Cosmetic Clinics, we are seeing more and more cases of what we call ‘maskne’ (mask acne) due to the use of face masks. Masks create a warm and humid environment underneath them, which can trap moisture and sebum, aggravating pre-existing acne or even causing new breakouts: Acne mechanica.
Those in professions where masks are compulsory can suffer with this condition, but most likely be more aware of how to prevent maskne and the treatments that can help.
At KL Cosmetic Clinics, we offer several treatments to address maskne and can advise on ways in which to help prevent it.
A combination of at-home products and in-clinic treatments is your best bet when tackling maskne.
ZO Skin Health offer in-clinic peels and at-home-use products in order to help prevent and to clear acne so that it is more manageable and your skin is cleaner and clearer. ZO was developed by Dr Obagi, an award-winning and innovator and inventor in the world of dermatology.
The ZO range consists of cleansers, moisturisers, masks, pads and serums to combat a myriad of skin concerns. The acne clear system offers clinically-proven, cruelty-free ingredients to cleanse and calm the skin as well as kill bacteria and prevent the spread of surface oils and sebum.
HydraFacial is a non-invasive, pain-free super-cleansing and purifying skin revitalising system which is a highly effective and gentle way to combat acne. It uses patented Vortex technology with a unique device tip, to rid the skin of acne-causing and pore-clogging agents, whilst also helping reduce pigmentation and acne scarring.
What’s more, HydraFacial is a great anti-ageing treatment and comes in several variations, so our skin expert can tailor treatments to your individual skin type and requirements. Whatever your needs, the HydraFacial system can deeply exfoliate, revitalise and smooth the skin for a youthful and healthy glow.
Although the treatments offered at KL Cosmetic Clinics are brilliant for treating maskne, it’s worth knowing that there are steps you can take at home that will help prevent this condition for as long as we have to wear face masks to stay safe.
1. Cleanse and moisturise your face every day. Clinically-proven skincare such as ZO Skin Health can prevent skin problems. Use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser and ensure that you apply a moisturiser to act as a protective layer, to reduce dryness but to also prevent the skin from over-producing sebum to combat dry skin.
2. Try to avoid makeup when wearing a mask – makeup beneath a mask can clog pores and lead to further breakouts. If you must wear makeup, use products that are ‘non-comedogenic’ – ask our team for recommendations on makeup that won’t cause further maskne.
3. Wear the right mask – a tight face mask can irritate your skin and cause breakouts. A snug, comfortable fit can help protect you and others from coronavirus. You need a snug fit across your nose on the sides and under the chin. The fabric of your mask is also important. Avoid synthetic fibres, such as polyester, nylon and rayon. Try cotton or specially- developed disposable medical masks.
4. Take a 15 minute ‘mask break’ every 4 hours – healthcare workers have found that taking a break from wearing a mask, when it is safe to do so, helps save the skin. Safe places to remove a face mask include:
a. Outdoors, when you can stay at least 6 feet away from people
b. Inside your car when you are alone
c. At home
5. Wash your cloth masks regularly – most healthcare organisations recommend washing cloth masks after each use. This removes oils and skin cells that are contained within the mask, which could lead to skin problems. Follow the washing instructions on each mask and use a fragrance-free, hypoallergenic laundry detergent.
6. Continue any treatment plan that our practitioners have created for you, here at KL Cosmetic Clinics – if you have any pre-existing skin conditions such as acne or rosacea, it’s especially important to stick to your treatment plan when possible and within the guidelines. We will continue to do our very best for all our patients, within restriction guidelines, to continue with in-clinic treatments and offering home-use products, so that you can maintain beautiful skin and inner confidence.
Maskne may be something you are newly experiencing and if this is the case, why not book a no-obligation consultation and skin analysis. We can help you combat the condition and improve your skin’s health and appearance.